After much feedback and success coming from the ESXi Embedded Host Client, VMware Labs has decided to release a HTML5 Web Client Fling. The web client in itself is packed with a lot of features, so this first release will only have some of the more common features and actions that are used.
Here are a list of the features/workflows that are available in this release:
- VM Power Operations (common cases)
- VM Edit Settings (simple CPU, Memory, Disk changes)
- VM Console
- VM and Host Summary pages
- VM Migration (only to a Host)
- Clone to Template/VM
- Create VM on a Host (limited)
- Additional monitoring views (Performance charts, Tasks, Events)
- Global Views (Recent tasks, Alarm-view only)
The web client fling has been packaged as a OVA file, so it can be easily deployed within your existing vSphere 6.0 environments.
- 2 vCPU, 4 GB RAM, 14 GB
- vCenter 6.0 installation (VCSA or Windows). The H5 client appliance will need 4 GB RAM, 2 vCPUs and the hard disk will grow up to 14 GB.
- Recommended browsers – Chrome, Firefox, IE11. Others may work, with some functional or layout issues. Window vCenter: Was tested with a vCenter on Windows Server 2012 R2, but should work with other versions as well.
Since these are the early stages of this Fling, VMware is seeking feedback from customers using it. Check out the VMTN page to give your feedback. Also you can share your thoughts on social media using #h5client.